Wednesday 29 June 2011

A Good Year For Rhubarb

My rhubarb has done well this year, the warmer spell we had in late March and April really brought it on. I don't really have to tend much to my rhubarb patch, I just cut away any dead stems and remove any that get too big and stringy. Then in Autumn I just clear away all the leaves and stems that are left and cover the crowns with  dry dead leaves that have fallen from the trees, and that's about all I do to it. It comes up every year no matter how hard the winter has been, it was down to minus 15 here this winter. Ive forgotten where I got the original root from, but it must be eighteen or twenty years ago, from a single root about an inch or so across it now covers maybe two or three  feet square without its stems and leaves, and double that when its stems and leaves are fully out.

All of this leads on to Homemade Rhubarb crumble, a simple pudding that is worth a mention in any ones book. A crispy, sweet crust combined with a the sour taste of the rhubarb filling. Now that's an early early summer treat summed up in a spoon full.

No comments:

Post a Comment